Discord Integration?

Give your feedback on Kaillera, make suggestions for new features or improvements to existing features

Moderators: gothic_hobbit, civilian, okaygo, toqer

Discord Integration?

Postby toqer » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:53 pm

Seems like Discord would be a nice place to start for bringing kaillera out of the stone age.
toqer
Die-Hard Member

Re: Discord Integration?

Postby toqer » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:23 am

So in discord tonight, user Gav asked, "wat did toqer mean with intergrating discord and kailllera"

I guess I have to do better than a one liner here but.. Basically gut out the chat and matchmaking in the kailleraclient.dll, and leverage discord for those things. Looking over the Discord API it's possible.
https://discordapp.com/developers/docs/game-sdk/lobbies

Below is my insane ramblings/response from the discord channel.

toqerToday at 9:01 PM
just thinking in terms it's a chat platform with a broader reach than kaillera chat
it'd be neat if we could do matchmaking from within discord, launch games from within, etc.
one thing christophe was working on a few years back was an activeX control mame, basically mame in a browser
he demoed it for me, it ran ghosts and goblins
never released it because he feared copyright
but now archive.org has basically the same thing
for instance, this looks interesting in the discord API https://discordapp.com/developers/docs/ ... plications
Discord Developer Portal
Discord Developer Portal — API Docs for Bots and Developers
Integrate your service with Discord — whether it's a bot or a game or your whatever you wildest imagination can come up with.
Many games run their own backend servers for things like user authentication. If one of those many games is yours, then we've got something for you! This manager gives you access to a bearer token for the currently connected Discord user, which you can send off to your server to do user authentication.
This token is also useful for retrieving information about the connected user's account. Check out our OAuth2 documentation for more information.
not quite as cool as "Launch an external app" but it can certainly be used for matchmaking, dependong on what info you can grab from the connected users account, maybe you can grab IP address, I dunno
certainly you could do something like have a bot that connects 2 people to a virtual kaillera server that has nobody on it, to keep their packets moving smoothly
then bring them back to discord for more chatting and matchmaking
GetCurrentLocale is kind of neat too
I used to work for Machine Zone, they made the mobile games Final Fantasy, Mobile Strike, and Game of war
initially they used locale to figure out what a users language was
then they sent their chat through google translate API
so 2 people chatting different languages could somewhat communicate
eventually they build their own middleware between the API using Erlang? I think it was.
that way they could define strict translations for slang, or for acronyms like LOL = KEK.
GetCurrentBranch would allow the kaillera client to make sure that all folks in the game were running a compatible emulator
ahh lobbies, this is exactly what I'm talking about.. https://discordapp.com/developers/docs/game-sdk/lobbies
Discord Developer Portal
Discord Developer Portal — API Docs for Bots and Developers
Integrate your service with Discord — whether it's a bot or a game or your whatever you wildest imagination can come up with.
toqer
Die-Hard Member

Return to Kaillera Suggestions and Feedback