Why kaillera should go open source.

Give your feedback on Kaillera, make suggestions for new features or improvements to existing features

Moderators: gothic_hobbit, civilian, okaygo, toqer

Do you think -C should release the source?

Yes
78%
No
22%

Total votes : 23

Why kaillera should go open source.

Postby toqer » Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:27 am

Dear -C,

It's been a fun 2 years! The ride with kaillera has been most excellent. We were even able to hang out a few times, lots of fun. Hell i'm a moderators on your boards, how sick is that?

Back to my topic though, I think it's time you open sourced kaillera. Not because I'm one of these GNU commie hippies that thinks everything should be open source, oh no. Kaillera should be open source because most of the other emu authors ARE DIRTY COMMIE GNU HIPPIES!

I've talked to several emu authors that come in here and refuse to integrate kaillera with their emu simply because it isn't open source. While I think that's a poop reason not to integrate kaillera, It's well within their rights to do that. Open sourcing kaillera would make their "Well it isn't open" argument for not integrating go away, once that happens what would their next excuse be? Either they can or they can't integrate, bottom line.

Well, after knowing each other for a few years, I hope my opinion carries enough weight with you to consider what i'm saying. You've been a cool freind (btw, i'm REALLY enjoying that DC)

--toq
toqer
Die-Hard Member

Postby qwertymk » Mon Mar 03, 2003 3:21 pm

I think that's a good idea. Let me give you an example, if Mame would never be open source then we would never be able to play kaillera off mame... see what I'm saying?
-QWERTYMK
ImageImage
qwertymk

Postby Mystiq » Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:45 pm

Think of what the consequence would be. How many versions of Kaillera will we have running around? Will a game be playable?

Not a bad idea, but...
Mystiq
Cylian

Postby toqer » Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:23 pm

<i>How many versions of Kaillera will we have running around? Will a game be playable?
</i><br>

I thought about it, yes of course there's going to be consequences.

1.) Emu authors will rewrite the kaillera client specific to their emulator and it wont resemble what it does now.
2.) the protocol will be opened up to unscrupulous luserz to mojob with the servers
3.) christophe might not get as much recognition as he does now.

But along with consequences, there's benefits.
1) if the code is ever stolen without credit, said theif would be ridiculed off the net
2) Rework of the client/server/protocol/server/clients would be submitted by volunteers to the original codebase (which -C would still 0wn credit too) and he could say what stays and what doesn't. Could lead to new clients on new O/S's plus new kick/ban/admin features we've been cryin for the last 2 years.
3) Michael from slashdot would wet his pants and post it on the frontpage of slash (giving -C hella credit where it's due)

I think it's waaay worth it.
toqer
Die-Hard Member

Postby Vonism » Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:27 am

like i always said-- make kaillera a open source. so other ppl can contribute to kaillera. no matter what we say -c is gonna kept it to himself and i respect that bc kaillera is his baby. like human nature we want to keep everything to ourself. KAILLERA RULES!!!!
Vonism
"Kaillera For Life"

Postby agumon » Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:18 am

So, which emu authors have expressed interest in adding kaillera support if it becomes open source ?
agumon

Postby Mystiq » Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:28 am

In the end (it doesn't even matter), it's Christophe's choice and he's been quite hush on what's coming if anything at all and without him talking much here, we don't have much chance for much. :)
Mystiq
Cylian

Postby toqer » Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:13 pm

Hu-Go, atari800win, zsnes are the first 3 that come to mind when it comes to not implementing kaillera because of open source issues.
toqer
Die-Hard Member

Postby Viet Cong » Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:06 pm

Open it up, keep it closed. A sad situation of the double edge sword, consequence wise. Since Kaillera is still relatively small (user-base wise) around world, it would probably be better to keep source as is till Kaillera is a true phenomenon. 1000+ players online everyday and True Dedicated servers to join.
When Skills Ruled
Viet Cong

Postby isamu » Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:39 pm

If opening the source means getting it on xbox live then IM ALL FOR IT!!!! Christophe....for the love of God, PLEASE PLESE PLEASE work out something with the mojob rabbit to get Kaillera on xbox live...I'l give you $1000!!!!!
isamu

Postby [RO]VeNoM » Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:49 am

Check out this :
http://www.mame.net/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/ ... Post105735

MAME it's one of the most famous emulators around today, please make Kaillera Open Source.
It would suck to have servers only for MAME and Kaillera for other emulators.

If it goes open source, -C will be a Nicola Salmoria for Kaillera.
[RO]VeNoM

Postby Jan_Klaassen » Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:14 am

I thought about it, yes of course there's going to be consequences.

1.) Emu authors will rewrite the kaillera client specific to their emulator and it wont resemble what it does now.

You say that like it's a bad thing. :D

A few fairly simple API additions for joining a server and requesting the server list would solve any potential problems while still allowing emulators to use their own UI if they so desire. There simply won't be any need to mess with the code, unless Kaillera is actually lacking a feature. And if some emulators extend the protocol to add features they need, what's bad about that as long it still works with the standard Kaillera server?

2.) the protocol will be opened up to unscrupulous luserz to mojob with the servers

They can monitor network traffic and mojob with the servers now.

3.) christophe might not get as much recognition as he does now.

Err, that doesn't compute. It might start to rain after he open-sources Kaillera, too.
Jan_Klaassen

Postby Semi Automatic » Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:11 am

Hmm, i think kaillera should go open source so people can add the features that server owners are begging for.......we need admin features.
Don't hold back.
Semi Automatic

Postby Kurgan » Fri Sep 05, 2003 6:28 am

MAME it's one of the most famous emulators around today, please make Kaillera Open Source.
It would suck to have servers only for MAME and Kaillera for other emulators.

What else were you hoping we'd have servers for? The Sims? Kaillera is a protocol, Mame is an emulator. Any emulator can add kaillera support if they want to. I suppose any game could as well (though with commercial games you might get into a sticky area).

If it goes open source, -C will be a Nicola Salmoria for Kaillera.

Um, he already IS. Nicola started MAME, Christophe started kaillera. There's nothing C can do to become "more" the inventor of Kaillera than he already is!

Or are you saying that Nicola takes all the credit for everything done with the Mame source? I don't think he does...

Mame has 100 people working on it and has been around for six years. Kaillera has only one and has been around, what, 2?

PS: I tried to view that Mame forum link you posted, but it couldn't be found.
Set your mojob mame color in display to match your stupid ass desktop color to avoid black screen in netplay, fukaz. t(';'t -TFR, AD 2-20-02
Kurgan
"Kaillera For Life"

BEWARE TYPE oS

Postby morphus56k » Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:14 am

Blah kaillera is already ok look how many releases were made...
let the kaillera source alone, making the kaillera source will wipe 56kers off the map.
look at isamu he wants to wipe me out since i cant afford broadband, o common leave kaillera alone isnt it perfect i mean probably next 5 years
c- will mess around with kaillera dam man look making it go open source is making kaillera just die.
kaillera has been going strong for what 2 years with out a new version i think.
kaillera needs no updating its already fixed. giving the person control over a server would lead to hacking and stuff omg...
i can come up with so many reasons for kaillera not to be open source

ENGLISH
no one cares about ZSNES or any emulator
author ,they just wanna rename the poop and say they made it!
morphus56k
56k-man

Next

Return to Kaillera Suggestions and Feedback